Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Email to Kijiji

Hello,

I am a dog trainer in the Halifax area. I'm writing to you concerning a disturbing trend I've seen on your site. There are a large number of ads of peopling seeking to breed their dogs. These ads take the form of either female dog owners looking for studs, or stud dogs looking for females.

I know kijiji is taking steps to try to clean up the ads in the pet section - as noted by your recent change displaying that puppies should not be adopted out until I believe 8 weeks.

I'd ask that you consider adding to your policy to make these types of breeding ads a violation of your policy. The last thing the dog community needs is more backyard breeders and pseudo puppy mills - your site makes it easy for unregulated and unlicensed owners to attempt to become breeders.

I'm curious if this has been considered in anyway and if you have made a decision, or if the decision process is ongoing. I'm sure many others feel this same way and I'd be willing to start a petition or campaign, whatever is required to end this practice.

1 comment:

  1. Although indiscriminate breeding for money is a bane in my side, and appreciate your caring effort, I'd take it a step further and would like to see all life animal Kijiji ads gone. Some breeders that do belong to the CKC club aren't exactly conscientious. Some are and some aren't.
    And I know and met so-called backyard breeders that took better care of their occasional litters than a "registered" breeder who has three or four going at the same time throughout the year. Every year.
    It is really is up to the public to investigate thoroughly, and up to us pros to educate, but a ban of ads on Kijiji and alike would at least take a away the opportunity to casually browse for a lifetime (the animal's) companion and make a spontaneous decision based on a cute photo or a "really good deal".

    ReplyDelete